Silksong's Mixed Steam Reviews: A Translation Cata

Silksong’s Mixed Steam Reviews: A Translation Cata

Hollow Knight: Silksong’s Steam reviews turned Mixed, driven by a poor Simplified Chinese translation and harsh difficulty.

So, I’ve been living under a rock—no, wait, I’ve been living in Hallownest for years, waiting for Silksong. And when it finally dropped, I was ready to lose another 100 hours of my life. But then I saw the Steam reviews. Ouch. :face_with_head_bandage:

As of 2026, the dust has settled a bit, but the initial plunge was brutal. Hollow Knight: Silksong briefly hit a ‘Mixed’ rating worldwide on Steam, with only 76% positive reviews. Compare that to the original Hollow Knight’s 96%. For a game that scored 98 on Metacritic and had critics drooling, that’s a massive disconnect. So what went wrong? Was it the difficulty? The bugs? Nope. It was… the Simplified Chinese translation. Yeah, you read that right.

Let me tell you, the translation itself seems to have a personality—a pretentious, faux-Shakespearean one that thinks it’s smarter than everyone else. One Chinese player on Reddit, Pro_Cream, put it bluntly: ‘As a native speaker of Chinese… the quality of Chinese is so bad to the degree I prefer to play the game in English.’ Oof. Another user, 9k99G, said the dialogue reads like someone ‘[trying] to speak in fake Shakespeare vocabulary with a dialect of Yoda.’ Imagine Yoda trying to write a tragedy. That’s the vibe. A simple ‘I’ll kill you’ got mangled into something so laughable that players started sharing screenshots for the memes. :joy:

And here’s the kicker: the original Hollow Knight had six people on its Simplified Chinese localization team. Silksong has just two, and none of the original translators returned. One of them, Hertzz Liu, is even suspected of leaking game details on Tieba earlier this year. Yikes. That’s like hiring a chef who’s also a food critic—and then finding out they leaked the recipe. The translation is like a clingy ex: it just won’t let go of its bad habits.

But wait, there’s more. Steam reviews in any language also complain about difficulty. More benches, less boss damage, an easy mode—you know the drill. So it’s not just the translation. The game’s challenge is a double-edged sword, and some players are getting cut. But the translation issue is the one that sparked a coordinated-looking wave of negative reviews. Though I wouldn’t call it review bombing—these complaints are legit. Good localization is like a good waiter: you only notice when it’s bad. And here, the waiter is dropping plates and speaking in tongues.

Common complaints in Steam reviews:

  • :dagger: Boss damage too high

  • :chair: Not enough benches

  • :triumph: No easy mode

  • :scroll: Incomprehensible Chinese dialogue

Game
Steam Positive Rating
Metacritic

Hollow Knight
96%
90

Silksong
76%
98

Team Cherry, to their credit, apologized via X (formerly Twitter). Matthew Griffin promised they’d ‘be working to improve the translation over the coming weeks.’ That was in late 2025, and as of 2026, we’ve seen some patches. But the Steam rating is still recovering. It’s like trying to un-spill a glass of milk. You can clean it up, but the stain lingers.

So, what’s my take? I’m a huge fan, and I want Silksong to succeed. The gameplay is stellar, the art is gorgeous, and Hornet is a queen. But this whole saga is a reminder that games are global products. If you’re going to sell in China, hire enough translators and pay them well. Otherwise, your masterpiece gets dragged by a language barrier. And that’s just sad.

Let’s hope Team Cherry fixes it soon. Because Silksong deserves better. And so do the players who just want to understand what the heck the NPCs are saying. :crossed_fingers:

I mean, come on, who greenlit that translation? You know what I mean? It’s a whole thing. But hey, at least the music slaps. :musical_note:

In the end, the Steam review section became a battlefield, with players wielding their keyboards like nail-blades. The translation, poor thing, never stood a chance. But if Team Cherry plays their cards right, Silksong might just claw its way back to ‘Very Positive.’ And I’ll be here, waiting with my nail and my popcorn.

All this talk of ratings and patches got me thinking about how much a price tag shapes the way we judge a game. A shaky localization stings a lot less when you grabbed the title at a steep discount, and honestly, that’s how most of us end up exploring beyond our comfort zone—picking up something on sale, giving it a shot, and eithe

https://dealnesthq.com